Doing the Right Thing
Killam lives by its Core Values, including Do the Right Thing. This is made evident through a number of initiatives: supporting affordable housing in its communities; investing in green initiatives; donating apartments to hospitals for patient families; post-secondary scholarship programs for children and grandchildren of employees; and many other efforts.
Killam is a strong community supporter and believes that giving back to the community is an important part of being a responsible corporate citizen.
• Annually, Killam donates six furnished suites to hospitals in its core markets, providing comfortable accommodations to families as they support loved ones through medical treatment.
• The Red Cross is on hand to help when emergencies and disasters impact communities, and Killam is pleased to support this organization with financial assistance on an annual basis.
• Killam provides financial support for various charities in its core markets, with an emphasis on supporting employees, tenants and organizations focused on shelter and families.
• Employees are involved in various community events and charities. In recent years, this has included Habitat for Humanity, Junior Achievement, the Halifax Pride Parade and Doors Open Halifax, to name just a few.
• Killam’s board of directors join together annually to support a charity or community organization. Since beginning the initiative in 2010, board members have donated $100,000 annually to various charities including the Janeway Children’s Hospital in St. John’s, Saint Mary's University, Mount Allison University, The Halifax YMCA and the Charlottetown and Summerside Boys and Girls Clubs.
Affordable Housing Alternatives
Killam supports affordable housing alternatives in its communities.
• Killam has over 500 apartments, including 228 newly developed units of government sponsored affordable housing, with long-term commitments to provide quality, affordable units for qualifying tenants.
• Through its nationally recognized Supported Housing Program, Killam has partnered with a variety of non-profit housing agencies, including Capital Health’s Mental Health Program, Shelter Nova Scotia, YWCA, and Phoenix House, to provide over 70 subsidized units to previously under-housed individuals.
• Killam’s Tenant Assistance Program offers short-term rent relief for tenants who are undergoing temporary financial hardships.
Killam is committed to reducing its environmental footprint and investing in energy efficient solutions. This investment allows for long-term cost savings, and is the right thing to do. Recent investments in green solutions include:
• Hiring an energy efficiency specialist to expand Killam’s green initiatives.
• Investing $0.8 million in energy and water saving initiatives.
• Installing water saving fixtures in over 600 apartment units, achieving a reduction in water consumption of over 25%.
• Investing in advance building control systems and equipment upgrades, resulting in reduced energy consumption and increased comfort.
• Completing energy efficient lighting upgrades throughout its apartment portfolio.
Killam employees are its biggest asset. Supporting employees both at work and in their communities is a priority at Killam.
• Three annual scholarship awards are available to children and grandchildren of Killam employees to help them pursue post-secondary education.
• Killam’s employee share-purchase plan encourages employees to become shareholders through payroll deductions, and rewards longer-term employees with a 50% company match.
• Killam promotes employees’ involvement in the community by providing a full day of paid leave per year for employees to volunteer with a charity of their choice.
• Killam invests in employee education, including bringing staff together on a regular basis for training, accessible on-line training and coaching programs, providing financial assistance for further education, and supporting employees to pursue the Certified Property Management certification.
• Killam values communication with employees, producing quarterly newsletters, hosting team summits and senior management staff visits.
• Killam encourages health and wellness across the organization, including holding an annual company-wide team fitness challenge.
• Killam provides ongoing safety training and education.
• Hosting community events throughout the portfolio, including holiday parties, resident barbecues, meet and greets, pizza parties and movie nights.
• Investing in community enrichment at properties, including supporting community gardens, the installation of playground equipment, new or enhanced community and fitness rooms, and upgraded recreational facilities and equipment at seasonal resorts.
• Upgrading the corporate website, including the launch of an on-line live chat option, and expanded communication options for existing and prospective tenants.
• Investing in technology to increase tenant’s ability to communicate with Killam staff.
• Increasing emphasis on tenant experience and retention.
• Conducting an extensive tenant survey whereby 90% of the 2,127 survey participants responded that they were completely or mostly satisfied with Killam Properties as a landlord.